Saturday, October 23, 2010

Double Double, Toil and Trouble

O'Donnell (right) with her sisters in 1993, (her witch sisters, not like, the birth kind)
          Since Halloween is quickly approaching, I thought it would be appropriate to write about a certain political candidate who most likely shares my affinity for this spooky, and often underrated, holiday. (Thanks for stealing my thunder, Christmas). The candidate I'm talking about is Sereta the Enchantress. Oops, I mean Christine O'Donnell. In a recently released campaign advertisement that O'Donnell released in an effort to dispel (hehe) any rumors that she might still be dabbling in witchcraft, O'Donnell proudly proclaims, "I'm not a witch," as the ad's first statement. Have no fear, Delaware voters, O'Donnell swears she didn't join a coven.
            The advertisement, which evokes the simplicity of a Delaware-gone-by (perhaps one from the 1690's?) shows a demure O'Donnell standing in front of a background that is almost reminiscent of Halloween fog as a mellifluous, optimistic piano provides the soundtrack. (See SNL's parody here). O'Donnell chooses to end the advertisement on a positive note, repeating the earlier-spoken phrase, "I'm you." Does this mean I can cast spells too, Christine? 
          The advertisement is only another trudging step towards infamy in O'Donnell's ill-fated senatorial campaign, one that has been marred by outlandish claims and ignorance that recalls Sarah Palin since its beginning. O'Donnell has, no doubt, become an internet sensation since the election - clips of her on Politically Incorrect have circulated YouTube and her behavior and quotes have stirred a slew of parodies. 
           What strikes me, however, is that a candidate like O'Donnell has actually been given a level of legitimacy in the political sphere. Sure, she is trailing behind her opponent, Chris Coons, by anywhere from an estimated 10-19% in voter polls, but this still means that a substantial percentage of voters support her. 
            Now, I'm not saying that voters don't have the right to express their opinions, and obviously I am not saying that all of O'Donnell's views shouldn't be taken seriously. But the fact that O'Donnell, who has made a career out of bizarre, unfounded and sometimes comical statements ever since her stint on Politically Incorrect, has actually made it this far in the political race can only further undermine and parody America's political system. Am I saying that candidates should be barred from running if they have the occasional political gaffe or used to sacrifice goats on altars? Of course not. I'm just asking American voters to start taking elections seriously. And be wary of Christine O'Donnell, or she might put a spell on you.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Made me laugh and is totally relevant. These campaign videos keep getting weirder...

    ReplyDelete